Compact and high capacity warehousing. Higher number of stored items. Reduction in loading and unloading times of pallets.
Ideal solution for refrigerated rooms or as a temporary storage solution, with no limits to lane depths.Request information and/or a quote
A compact storage system in which a shuttle driven by an electric motor runs on rails inside the storage channels, replacing forklift trucks, considerably reducing operating times and enabling items to be grouped by channels rather than complete lanes.
The Pallet Shuttle follows orders sent by an operator using a tablet with Wi-Fi connection, depositing the load in the first free placement location in the channel and compacting the pallets as much as possible. By removing the need to drive forklifts into the lanes, storage capacity is increased in terms of depth, the risk of accidents and damage to the racks is negligible, operator movements are optimised and warehouse operation is modernised and made more flexible.
It is an ideal solution for companies with a high volume of pallets per item and intensive loading and unloading activity.
- Greater diversification: each channel can be used to store a different item.
- High productivity: increased flow of incoming and outgoing goods.
- Greater capacity: Storage of up to 40 m deep
- Highly cost-effective, thanks to the reduction in operating costs.
- Decreased incidents and maintenance costs.
- Many advanced functionalities can be easily controlled from the tablet.
Technology applied at top operating speeds
- Increased number of pallets in depth: storage channels can exceed 40 m in height; the limit is imposed by the handling means used.
- The system works with minimal clearances between levels, which allows for high-density storage.
- Through the use of sensors the shuttles can position loads intelligently, eliminating empty spaces in the storage lanes. As such, the effective capacity of the warehouse (which takes into account flows of goods in and out of the warehouse) reflects its physical capacity.
- Loading and unloading times are reduced, since the operator does not need to work inside the lanes.
- Movement speed of the shuttle of 90 m/min when empty, or 45 m/min when loaded.
- Load lifting cycle of just 2 seconds.
- On being given a single command, the shuttle can fill or empty a whole lane.
- Increased flow of goods in and out of the warehouse.
- Unlike conventional drive-in systems, references can be grouped by channel, rather than requiring a full lane, which allows for greater diversification.
- Optimisation of operator movements. Product-to-person system: this is the load that moves to the operator.
- While the Pallet Shuttle carries out a command, the operator can collect another pallet, thus achieving continuous movement.
- Depending on temperature and load conditions, the shuttle has an operational range of up to 10 hours, working at full capacity.
- The lithium batteries are easily accessible and have fast connections that eliminate the need for cables, so that they can be changed quickly without interrupting the operation cycle.
- Elimination of errors.
- The system is easy to use and easy to maintain.
- A single tablet can control up to 18 shuttles.
- Inventory function: The shuttle can take stock of the number of pallets stored in a channel.
The result of the benefits mentioned previously, together with the consumption of energy, is a reduction in costs, making Pallet Shuttle one of the most cost-effective compact storage systems.
- The shuttle has built-in sensors that enable different types of pallets to be detected and handled.
- The Pallet Shuttle models 1012 and 1212 are able to work with pallets of different widths and sizes. The 1012 model can be used to handle Euro-pallets of 800 or 1,000 mm in width. The 1212 model can be used to handle Euro-pallets of 800, 1,000 or 1,200 mm in width.
- All shuttles can operate in LIFO or FIFO mode. The operator uses the tablet to select the mode he wishes to work with.
- The shuttle platform is designed to carry pallets with a buckling limit of up to 25 mm.
- Any type of handling equipment can be used to carry the shuttle.
- Up to 1,500 kg per pallet can be handled.
- It is possible to install Mecalux's Easy WMS Warehouse Management Software on the tablet.
- The system is scalable. Over time, the number of shuttles can be increased easily as the need to increase productivity arises.
- Thanks to the way that the structure is built, and given that forklifts do not need to drive into the lanes, the risk of accidents is practically non-existent, and the metallic racks are not damaged, meaning maintenance is kept to a minimum.
- There is a user management feature that prevents unauthorised personnel from using the shuttles.
- Both the racking and the shuttles have built-in safety features specifically designed to ensure the correct operation of the Pallet Shuttle system:
In addition to regulatory requirements (signage, areas enclosed with safety mesh, netting to prevent falls, etc.), racks for the Pallet Shuttle system also include additional elements, such as:
Rail end stops: made of folded sheet metal, in an 8-mm thick L-shape, these are used as a detection element to slow and stop the shuttle in normal working conditions.
Pallet centralisers: These are fitted to the entry/exit points in the storage channels to aid in the placement of the unit load in the channel, ensuring it has been centred.
Advanced safety systems have been incorporated to avoid possible incidents caused by improper use. Most importantly:
Rail-end sensors: Used to detect the position of the Pallet Shuttle at the ends of the rail.
Position sensors: Used to detect the position of pallets that are loaded on the Pallet Shuttle, or that have been deposited.
Locking system: safety device located at the bottom of the shuttle that is activated from the tablet. It increases the contact between the Pallet Shuttle and the lift forks
Safety bumper: used to prevent potential jams or collisions.
Emergency stop button: ensures the Shuttle Pallet stops for any preventive maintenance tasks.
Shuttle bumpers: used to prevent possible collisions or incidents resulting from improper use.
Positioning camera: Helps to manoeuvre the Pallet Shuttle in place in the channel, and make sure it is centred. It is especially helpful in very tall installations (optional).
Safety scanner: monitors access to the tracks while the shuttle is operational (optional).
Mecalux designs and manufactures all the component parts of the Pallet Shuttle compact storage system, including the specific racking structure to ensure optimal movement of the shuttles, and the shuttles themselves.
This guarantees perfect operation and a perfect fit for all the different elements of the system, as well as their quality and compliance with the safety regulations in force in each country.
Thanks to the resources invested in R&D&I, Mecalux's Pallet Shuttle includes the latest technological innovations, offering optimal performance at a very competitive price. It has innovative features, including remote control via tablet, the positioning camera and the safety scanner. Additionally it is one of the fastest systems on the market and can be adapted to the specific needs of any warehouse, making it even more efficient.
Mecalux provides a warranty of five years for the Pallet Shuttle racking structure, of one year for the operation of the shuttle, and of six months for the operation of the batteries.
A way of quickly and regularly transporting pallets back and forth
According to the dictionary definition, a shuttle is a vehicle that travels to and fro between fixed points at frequent intervals. Mecalux's Pallet Shuttle fits this description perfectly, with the route in this case running from the rack's P&D station to the first available space in the storage channel (or the opposite way, if unloading).
At one point, the evolution of compact storage systems raised the following question: Why not make it a motorised shuttle, not a forklift, that enters the storage channel to handle pallets, increasing loading and unloading speeds and optimising the effective capacity of the warehouse?
The smart answer was Pallet Shuttle: the racking structure is adapted so a shuttle with an electric motor can move along the inside of storage lanes on a track, following the commands given by the operator using a Wi-Fi tablet.
The forklift leaves the load on the track, and the Pallet Shuttle picks it up and moves it independently, storing it in its placement location, all the while keeping the pallets as compact as possible. By removing the need to drive forklifts into the lanes, handling times are reduced, storage capacity is increased in terms of depth, the risk of accidents and damage to the metal shelves is negligible, operator movements are optimised and warehouse operation is modernised.
This is how the Pallet Shuttle system offers a compact storage solution that reduces operating costs and improves performance in the supply chain. Making progress the smart way.
Example of a compact warehouse with Pallet Shuttle and picking level
Compact semi-automated warehouse with Pallet Shuttle
In semi-automated installations, operators only need to drive the forklifts that carry the pallets and initiate the motorised shuttle's activity. The movement of the shuttles inside the racks is automated.
Semi-automatic operation mode:
A forklift places the Pallet Shuttle in the channel where work is to be done.
Next, the forklift is used to position pallets one by one in the channel entrance, resting them on the load-bearing beams.
Using the tablet, the operator sends the command to the shuttle to start the loading operation. Once the location of the pallet has been identified, the Pallet Shuttle lifts the pallet slightly, and moves it horizontally until it reaches the first available location, where it deposits the pallet. Different sensors accurately control the movement of the load being stored.
The Pallet Shuttle returns to the top of the lane in order to repeat the operation with the next pallet, and the next, as many times as necessary until the channel is filled. Before the last position is filled, the shuttle is removed and the sequence is repeated in the next channel where work is required.
The semi-automated system allows for two types of operation:
LIFO (Last In, First Out), where the last pallet loaded is the first to be unloaded. Loading and unloading is carried out from the same side. This is the most common system used with Pallet Shuttle.
FIFO (First In, First Out), where the first pallet loaded is the first to be unloaded. Two access aisles are needed: One to load the goods and another to unload them. This FIFO system is relative, or by batches, recommended for the complete loading or unloading of a level.
Most noteworthy functions:
The forklift driver sends orders to the shuttle for storing and retrieving pallets using a tablet with a Wi-Fi connection. Operation is very simple and intuitive, and does not require special training. The most noteworthy functions are:
Tablet for use in cold temperatures
1. Pallet selector
Selects the type of pallet to be handled
2. LIFO/FIFO configuration
Selects the load management strategy
3. Change of P&D station
Selects which side of the structure you want to work on (in FIFO mode)
4. Locking system
Activates the additional locking system, which increases contact between the Pallet Shuttle and the truck's lifting forks
Compacts pallets at the beginning (LIFO) or end (FIFO) of the channel
6. Continuous loading/unloading
Loads/unloads a channel without interruption
7. Partial unload
Selects the number of pallets to be extracted
Counts the number of pallets stored in the channel
9. Location signal
Activates the audible and light signals to identify the location of the selected shuttle
10. Management of users
Manages user permissions for the shuttles for authorised personnel
11. Operating mode selector
Automatic or manual (for maintenance tasks)
12. Shuttle indicator
Shows the number of shuttles in operation and their status
Safety and control: The foundations on which the system is built
In addition to the control tablet that communicates orders to the shuttle via Wi-Fi, the system consists of two basic components:
- The rack structure.
- The motorised shuttle.
Automation at everyone's fingertips
In general, the Pallet Shuttle noticeably increases warehouse productivity when working with incoming and outgoing goods with a large number of pallets per discrete item.
As such, it is the perfect option for:
- Companies with few discrete items and a large number of pallets.
- Companies with a high level of loading and unloading activity.
- Cold storage. It is ideal for warehouses where low temperatures are required, since it takes full advantage of the storage volume and reduces manoeuvring times. The system is even more efficient when automated systems are installed, using stacker cranes or transfer cars.
- Buffers for temporary storage or picked orders.
- Seasonal product warehouses, where inflow and outflow depend on the season, and goods are accumulated over a period, until a given moment when they are released in bulk, as is the case for ice creams or toys.
- Warehouses that already use a compact system and need to access a greater number of items, store more pallets in depth or increase the number of incoming and outgoing movements, thereby increasing their productivity.
Pallet Shuttle moving along the inside of a storage channel